10 Best Data Science Courses and Certification
If you’re looking for a high-paying job in the data science field, you need to know where to start. But we’ve got some good news and bad news.
The good news is that data science is one of the most in-demand skills out there right now, with an average salary of over $100,000. The bad news is that it’s not easy to break into the field without proper training.
Luckily, there are plenty of data scientist courses that can help you get started. But what if you’re not sure where to start?
If you’re looking for a comprehensive course to build your data scientist skillset, look no further – we’ve got all the info you need right here. Let’s get started learning today with these data scientist courses.
1. Data Scientist Nanodegree Program (Udacity)
If you’re looking to become a data scientist, then look no further than Udacity’s Data Scientist Nanodegree Program. With this certificate, you’ll learn how to use Python for data science projects – so you can build machine learning models and pipelines that actually work.
You will also be able to put all of what you’ve learned into action by working on your own open-ended Data Science project. Through this immersive program, you’ll build your portfolio and advance your career in a data science role with the skills you learn in this program.
Get up to speed quickly with the actual skillsets that you need.
Gain real-world experience with projects designed by industry experts.
Higher price but has pay-as-you-go options to encourage quick completion.
- Solving Data Science Problems: Be able to present your findings, build effective data visualizations, and gain a deep understanding of the data science process.
- Software Engineering for Data Scientists: Get the skills you need that are essential for data scientists by learning how to build classes and create unit tests.
- Data Engineering for Data Scientists: You’ll get hands-on experience with the latest data science technologies and skills required to drive data science projects in the cloud.
- Experiment Design and Recommendations: Experience the power of advanced analytics and for testing A/B testing and recommendation systems.
- Data Science Projects: Take what you’ve learned throughout the program and build your own project in a real-world setting.
This program is designed by industry experts and will give you the skills and experience you need to succeed in this field. In this program, you will learn how to visualize data and build software engineering skills essential for data scientists. Additionally, you’ll work on real-world projects, run data pipelines, design experiments, build recommendation systems, and much more. So if you’re ready to jump into the world of data science, the Udacity Data Scientist Nanodegree program is the perfect place to start.
|Duration||4 months (10 hours per week)|
|Certification||Data Scientist Nanodegree|
|Prerequisites||Python, SQL & Statistics|
|Skills||IBM Watson Studio, Python, SQL, Data Pipelines, Statistics|
2. Data Scientist with Python (DataCamp)
Python is a must-know language for data scientists. And that’s what this track is all about. You’ll learn the ins and outs of Python, as well as how to use it for data science tasks like training decision trees and doing natural language processing (NLP). With DataCamp’s Data Scientist with Python track, you can gain the essential coding skills you need to succeed in this growing field.
Concise career track offering a wide variety of courses and projects throughout.
Great instructors like Hugo with several different styles of teaching.
Rich in projects and hands-on learning experiences.
Resume/CV preparation not part of the data scientist career track.
- Introductory and Core Python: From introductory to intermediate Python, learn the essential skills like NumPy, Pandas, and Matplotlib.
- Data Visualization: Enhance your data analysis with a practical introduction to data visualization and Matplotlib, the most popular open-source graphing library.
- Python Data Science Toolbox: Follow along in interactive tutorials and learn how to customize your own functions and handle errors.
- Applied Projects: From investigating Netflix movies, Github, to Android App Market, you will get hands-on experience extracting information and learning to code in Python.
This comprehensive Data Scientist with Python track will take you from beginner to expert, using real-world datasets to learn the statistical and machine learning techniques you need. Its interactive exercises will teach you how to manipulate and visualize data using some of the most popular Python libraries including pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, and many more. But the best part is that you don’t need any prior coding experience because its experts will guide you every step of the way. Start your data science journey today with DataCamp.
|Certification||Data Scientist with Python|
|Coursework||23 courses and 6 projects|
|Skills||Python, Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Scikit-learn, SQL, Seaborn, Git, Natural language processing (NLP).|
3. IBM Data Science Professional Certificate (IBM)
The IBM Data Science Professional Certificate will help you understand the basics of data science and give you the skills you need to work with data. You’ll learn how to use the tools, languages, and libraries used by professional data scientists, so you can start your career in this exciting field.
Learn from experts on an unrivaled platform.
Achieve your goals with the most cost-effective course.
Develop your own project and build your portfolio with a Capstone project.
Whether you want to learn data science tools, dive into Python, or explore SQL, this program has you covered.
You’ll gain a stronger understanding of the tools in the IBM data science toolkit including IBM Watson (but only those IBM tools).
Shortfall in resume support and career development upon graduation.
- Data Science Tools and Methods: Prepares you to solve real-world business problems that can be tackled with data science.
- SQL and Analysis for Python: SQL is the language of databases, and this course will show you how to use it as part of your data science work.
- Visualization in Python: In this course, you’ll learn how to use your existing data to create meaningful visualizations and graphical representations.
- Machine Learning with Python: Gain skills for uncovering hidden insights and predicting future trends using machine learning with Python.
- Capstone Project: You will be able to showcase your Data Science skills and give yourself a competitive edge in the job market with a Capstone project.
With hands-on experience using real data sets, you’ll be ready to take on any challenge that comes your way. For instance, you will clean and analyze your data through the IBM Data Science Professional Certificate program. Plus, you’ll be able to publish your findings in a professional report. Become a data scientist with Python and begin your journey to becoming a confident data scientist.
|Duration||1 year (3 – 6 hours per week)|
|Certification||IBM Data Science Professional Certificate|
|Coursework||10 skill-building courses|
|Skills||Python, SQL, Jupyter notebooks, IBM Watson Studio, R Studio, Pandas, SciPy, Scikit-Learn, Matplotlib, Seaborn, and Folium|
4. Data Product Manager Nanodegree (Udacity)
Data product managers are responsible for managing the research and design of data products that meet the business needs, to ensure maximum user satisfaction. They facilitate data-driven projects by leveraging both quantitative and qualitative data. Data product managers must be able to work with a variety of stakeholders from business analysts to engineers, from executives to senior management teams. If you’re eager to join the revolution, then you should consider taking the Data Product Manager Nanodegree offered at Udacity.
Tap into high quality instructions and scale up data-driven operations to optimize for business benefits.
Unique course that’s geared toward product managers to meet business needs.
High learning curve with several prerequisites required upon entry.
Mostly business related without much hand-on programming skills achieved.
- Applying Data Science to Product Management: For product managers looking to tap into the power of data, this course will teach you how to apply data science concepts to your work. Gain an understanding of the role data science plays in the product management process and explore some of the tools you can use to visualize your data and facilitate statistical analysis.
- Establishing Data Infrastructure: Data infrastructure is the backbone of any data-driven business. This course will give you an understanding of the key components of data infrastructure and pipelines as well as how to evaluate strategic decisions for data..
- Leveraging Data in Iterative Product Design: Build an understanding of which data is best collected through user feedback and how to interpret it. Use data and trends to better understand how your product is performing and how it can improve.
Data product managers play a key role in the data-driven world of the future. They typically use a combination of data, analytics, and insights to develop and evaluate new products and services. As a result, they are responsible for finding ways to improve customer experience, increase revenue, and drive efficiencies for their companies. A new comprehensive program, the Data Product Manager Nanodegree, is available from Udacity to empower students with these skills.
|Duration||3 months (10 hours per week)|
|Certification||Data Product Manager Nanodegree|
|Prerequisites||Prior Data Analysis & Product Management Experience Recommended|
|Skills||Data Product Management, Statistics, Big Data, SQL, Tableau|
5. Professional Certificate in Data Science (Harvard)
Data Science is the science of extracting information from data. It includes understanding, predicting, and improving business decisions through data-driven insights. The field of data science has gained momentum in leveraging data for decision-making. The Professional Certificate in Data Science ensures that you get your hands on the skillset you need to excel at your career.
Instructions from a university consistently been ranked at the top of global rankings for its excellence in education.
Jumpstart your career with real-world data science case studies.
Long timeframe of 9 courses extended over a one year period. Albeit, it’s still possible to complete with a more intense schedule.
R is the less preferred programming option over Python.
- R Programming Basics: Learn how to effectively manage, analyze and visualize data from scratch with the R framework.
- Data Wrangling and Productivity Tools: Learn the methods of data wrangling, investigation and analysis so that you can work more efficiently with them. Gain knowledge on production techniques that will help you work effectively..
- Machine Learning: Study practical methods for applying machine learning techniques to real-world problems and creating scalable solutions.
- Capstone Project: Students get both hands-on experience and theoretical insight into data science problems with their own research project, while also finishing out their certification requirements.
In a world where data has become the most important asset, it’s no surprise that there are many professionals in data science. By utilizing data to make decisions and solve problems, they can help businesses thrive. Harvard University is now offering a Professional Certificate in Data Science, which can help you stand out from the crowd.
|Duration||1 year and 5 months (2-3 hours per week)|
|Certification||Professional Certificate in Data Science|
|Instruction||9 skill-building courses|
|Skills||R programming, Statistics, ggplot2, dplyr, GitHub, and RStudio|
6. Applied Data Science with Python Specialization (University of Michigan)
Text mining, inferential statistics, machine learning: the future is now for data science. Data has become a driving force in our economy and society because of its immense potential to allow us to uncover insights that would otherwise be impossible. The five-course Applied Data Science with Python Specialization from the University of Michigan will teach you how to use Python as a gateway into the world of data science.
Learn a wide range of data science topics such as data visualization, machine learning and text mining.
Receive instructions from the University of Michigan.
The program does not provide career preparation and CV/resume.
- Introduction to Data Science in Python: Learn the basics of data manipulation and cleaning techniques with the popular Python pandas library and how to effectively utilize functions such as groupby, merge, and pivot tables.
- Charting, Plotting, and Data Visualization: Get a complete introduction to how to visualize information. Learn how to plot, chart, and visualize information with Matplotlib.
- Applied Machine Learning in Python: Understand the difference between supervised and unsupervised learning methods and identify machine learning techniques.
- Projects in Python: Perform a series of projects using Python including text mining and social network analysis.
The Applied Data Science with Python Specialization from the University of Michigan discusses how to apply their skills towards applied data science with Python. This specialization will help students learn how machine learning works with Python and statistics in order to build predictive models that are suitable for solving real-world problems.
|Instructor||University of Michigan|
|Duration||5 months (7 hours per week)|
|Certification||Applied Data Science with Python Specialization|
|Skills||Python, Pandas, Matplotlib, Scikit-learn, Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK), and NetworkX|
7. Data Science Specialization (Johns Hopkins)
The Data Science Specialization by Johns Hopkins takes you from zero into the world of data science. You’ll learn the basics like how to read and write R Programming code, effective coding practices such as when and where to use loops, conditionals, functions, and modules. Finally, you’ll cap it off with a data science capstone project drawn from a real-world situation.
Versatile 10-course specialization with expert instruction from Johns Hopkins.
Covers areas of study like machine learning and RStudio.
Final capstone project with industry, government, and academic partners.
Main focus is in R Programming without much instruction for Python.
Centerpoint of instructions is in statistics like regression, statistical inference, and exploratory analysis.
Strangely Python is a prerequisite, despite only teaching R Programming throughout the specialization.
- R Programming: Learn the key aspects of programming in R and how to implement statistical programming skills in R while getting to grips with the most important parts of the package, including reading, data manipulation, and exploration.
- Statistics with R: Get an introduction to R programming for data analysis and understanding before diving into more advanced statistical methods. For instance, conduct exploratory analyses, build regression models, and learn statistical inference.
- Machine Learning: This course will teach you the basics of applying machine learning to build powerful predictive models. By the end of this course, you will have a better understanding of the practical challenges of building predictive models and the know-how to tackle them.
- Capstone Project : Get practice applying your data science skills to real-world problems. Use the skills and knowledge you’ve gained throughout your courses to create an impactful final data product.
If you are looking for a specialization that gives you a leg up in the field, statistics, data mining, and predictive modeling, the Data Science Specialization by Johns Hopkins University may be the perfect fit for you. Although it’s heavy in R Programming, it will teach you how to extract information from data and make predictions using statistical methods.
|Instructor||Johns Hopkins University|
|Duration||11 months (7 hours per week)|
|Certification||Data Science Specialization|
|Skills||R Programming, RStudio, Regression, Machine Learning, RegEx, and ANOVA|
8. Data Science for Business Leaders Nanodegree (Udacity)
There are no shortcuts to mastering data science, but there are some tricks that can help you speed up the learning process. Whether you are a business leader or not, it is important to understand how data science can impact your company. The Data Science for Business Leaders Nanodegree offers numerous benefits for business leaders. If you want to learn about the importance of data science for business leaders and how it can impact any company, this nanodegree is the right step forward.
Understand how to leverage data science in any business to help power strategic business decisions and insights.
Support and mentorship from Udacity to help instruct your data science plan into action.
Capstone project to outline the transformation of a business into a data science driven objective.
Incorporates strategies of machine learning initiatives.
For those who are interested in the business side, this course can assist leaders in implementation. However, those who want to learn the fine details of data science should turn towards another course or certification.
- Introduction to Data Science: You’ll learn how Data Scientists create insights and open doors for your business.
- Business Case for Data Science: This course will teach you how to develop a data science strategy that aligns with a business’s broader strategic objectives and identify opportunities for data science-based transformation.
- Human Capital of Data Science: Data Science is the future of the Information Age and is becoming an ever-increasingly important strategic business function. Learn why Data Science adds value to the organization by improving decision-making and leveraging data to help people make better, more data-driven decisions.
- Data and Machine Learning Infrastructure Strategy: Data Science and Machine Learning are redefining the role of business intelligence and analytics. Build a data infrastructure that best supports the overall Data Science initiative and Machine Learning strategy.
- Capstone Project: Learn to build a data plan from your first day that drives transformation in your business until day 100. The Capstone Project will help you see the impact of your strategies and the potential of your data.
Data science isn’t just a buzzword; it’s a powerful tool for solving business challenges. If you are looking for ways to use data science to improve your current processes as well as grow your business, the Data Science for Business Leaders Nanodegree will open your eyes to how data science can make a difference. You will learn strategies to implement data science in your strategic plan under the wing of instruction from Udacity, a global leader in education and instruction.
|Duration||4 – 8 weeks (5 hours per week)|
|Certification||Data Science for Business Leaders Nanodegree|
|Prerequisites||Statistics, Probability, and Business Experience|
|Skills||Data Science implementation, Strategic planning, Capstone project|
9. MicroMasters® Program in Statistics and Data Science (MIT)
The MIT MicroMasters® Program in Statistics and Data Science is a bit in a league of its own. It offers a pathway to many career opportunities like data analytics, data science, or business intelligence. It’s the most rigorous program in our list of best data science courses and certificate programs. But if you have an interest in statistics and data science and want to explore these industries, then this might be the perfect opportunity for you.
Expert instructions from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Provides an opportunity to develop and build machine learning algorithms.
Intense coursework at a high level of difficulty.
Although anyone can enroll in the program, it’s recommended to have college-level calculus and Python programming.
- Statistical Probability: Introduces you to the foundations of statistical inference and gives you a practical understanding of how to think about probabilistic models.
- Fundamentals of Statistics: Make informed decisions using statistics to deepen your research and interpret results in a way that allows you to draw conclusions from data.
- Machine Learning with Python: Get a thorough introduction to the field of machine learning, with practical hands-on examples, and learn how to apply machine learning techniques to real-world problems.
- Capstone Exam in Statistics and Data Science: You will be able to apply the knowledge and skills you’ve gained throughout your program in data analysis, statistics, and machine learning.
The MIT MicroMasters® Program in Statistics and Data Science offers a new way to pursue your passion in the field. The specialization is built on three pillars: data analysis, statistics, and machine learning. Although it’s a high level of difficulty, it provides a unique opportunity to develop your skills in statistics and data science.
|Instructor||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)|
|Duration||1 year and 2 months (10 – 14 hours per week)|
|Certification||MicroMasters® Program in Statistics and Data Science|
|Coursework||5 graduate-level courses|
|Skills||Data Science, Statistics, and Machine Learning|
10. MicroMasters® Program in Data Science (UC San Diego)
The MicroMasters Program in Data Science from UC San Diego offers 4 graduate-level courses that are designed with industry leaders in mind. These courses are taught by working professionals within this field and have years of relevant experience. Course topics include big data analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, statistics, data visualization, algorithms, and more.
Well-rounded course that covers everything from big data to machine learning.
Introduces students to a wide range of Python libraries.
Lack of career preparation and CV/resume support.
Although great fit graduates, this program has a high learning curve.
- Python for Data Science: Learn the foundations of Python to manipulate, analyze, and visualize complex datasets with Pandas, Git and Matplotlib.
- Probability and Statistics in Data Science using Python: Get a firm understanding of the power of probabilistic modeling and Python’s ability to gain insights for data science.
- Machine Learning Fundamentals: Get a comprehensive overview of machine learning, from the basic principles to practical applications.
- Big Data Analytics Using Spark: Unlock the power of big data with this hands-on course. This course covers everything you need to get started with big data analytics using the Jupyter notebook, MapReduce, and Spark as a platform.
The MicroMasters Program in Data Science from UC San Diego is a good alternative for those who would like to pursue an analytics degree or certificate without the extensive cost commitment or requirement of pursuing all the traditional coursework. With this program, students can complete their coursework online and receive a data science certificate upon completion.
|Instructor||UC San Diego|
|Duration||4 months (10 hours per week)|
|Certification||MicroMasters® Program in Data Science|
|Skills||Python, Pandas, Git, Matplotlib, Jupyter Notebooks, MapReduce and Spark|
Data scientists are one of the highest-paid tech professionals out there that’s quickly growing in popularity. It’s not only its high salaries and growth that’s unique to data science, but it also has opportunities in many different industries.
LinkedIn data has shown a +650% growth rate since 2012, and the average annual salary for jobs with “data scientist” in their title hit $120,000+ last year.
If you want to get on board with this lucrative career opportunity, here is a list of the best data science courses and certification options to help you get started with your journey.
Consider enrolling in one of the data science training courses today and you’ll be able to land a job as a data scientist or just better understand how it all works.