Java Certification: A Comprehensive Guide
Java certification is a valuable credential that can make you an attractive candidate for a new career in Java programming. It’s also the best way to demonstrate your proficiency and knowledge of Java technology.
Plus, it can open doors to increased opportunities for promotion, more responsibility, and higher salaries.
But how does one get their certifications? What are some popular certifications?
This article will list some reasons why you should consider getting a Java certification, which certifications are available, and how to find the best training for you.
1. Java Programmer Nanodegree (Udacity)
The Udacity Java Programmer Nanodegree is a one-of-a-kind certification program. It includes introductory and advanced programming courses, hands-on projects, and mentoring from expert programmers. Along the way, you’ll be guided with hands-on training from advisors who have many years of experience in software engineering.
Obtain the right skill sets in Java from industry experts in a high quality curriculum.
Receive a world class education filled with real-world projects that will challenge you.
Prepare for your future with career-oriented development such as CV/resume preparation.
If you’re the kind of person who prefers in-class lectures, then you will not enjoy the online nature of studying.
The cost of Udacity is higher than other programs. Although it has a higher price tag, the content is also top notch.
- Java Fundamentals: This course is designed to help you build a solid foundation of Java programming, which will enable you to take on and learn new concepts in the future. You will learn key Object-oriented Programming (OOP) concepts including classes, encapsulation, and inheritance. Afterward, you will build a hotel reservation application as a hands-on project.
- Advanced Java Programming Techniques: This course will teach you functional programming, I/O, and serialization. You will gain a better understanding of the fundamental principles of software design and be able to write more complicated and powerful programs in Java. Finally, you will complete this course by enhancing a legacy web crawler with concurrent techniques.
- Java Application Deployment: You will learn the Java ecosystem topics for building production-ready applications. Additionally, you will gain the skills to customize the build process and manage project dependencies. You will write unit tests and explore how to deploy Java applications. Finally, you will put your skills to use in a project involving customizing an existing application related to home security.
Udacity can be a great way to keep your skills up-to-date and up-to-par with Java development. They will help you take your skills to the next level and give you advice on how to break into the industry. The Java Programmer Nanodegree is perfect for anyone looking to fast-track their career or even start a new career in Java programming.
|Certification||Java Programmer Nanodegree|
|Prerequisites||Basic programming concepts like variables, loops and conditionals.|
|Skills Acquired||Java, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), JUnit 5, Mockito Library|
2. Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming with Java Professional Certificate (Georgia Tech)
The Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) with Java Professional Certificate program from Georgia Tech explores the basics of object-oriented programming and teaches how to identify, create, and modify your own classes with Java. It will also look at some of the important features available to you as a developer for Java such as data structures, recursion, and syntax.
Great for learning the ins-and-outs of OOP for Java programming along with its algorithms.
Earn a professional certificate at university level with a focus on Java that you can showcase to employers.
Lack of applied projects that will put your skills learned to the test.
Less focus on career outcomes and preparation for employment opportunities.
- Foundations and Syntax Basics: This course provides an introduction to Object-Oriented Programming with Java, focusing on the foundations and syntax basics of the Java programming language.
- Object-Oriented Programming and Algorithms: This course will teach you how to use Java to implement object-oriented programming, data abstraction (encapsulation) and inheritance, and how to design and implement basic algorithms.
- Exceptions, Data Structures, Recursion, and GUIs: Gain a deep understanding at how to create and use Java exceptions and how to use data structures. Additionally, you learn about recursions and how to create graphical user-interfaces (GUIs).
Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) is the dominant programming paradigm today. The Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) with Java Professional Certificate program will provide an introduction to both object-oriented programming and Java. Topics include data abstraction, inheritance, encapsulation, polymorphism, interfaces, exceptions handling, and GUI components.
|Certification||Professional Certificate in Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming with Java|
|Skills Acquired||Object-Oriented Programming, JavaFX, Big O Notation,|
3. Learn Java Certification (Codecademy)
The Java Certification at Codecademy will teach you the basics of Java, from variables to objects and from encapsulation to inheritance. You’ll also explore data structures and control flow. You’ll see how these are used in various applications in Java and even build your own calculator Java program.
A nice combination of hands-on coding practice mixed in with easy-to-understand reading material.
Complete seven projects that will put your Java skills to the test with real coding.
The lessons can contain small bugs such as not registering submitted work.
Most content is reading material without much video, if you are this type of learner.
- Intro to Java: Gain a foundation in Java programming that will teach you the basics how to code with Java, one of the most popular programming languages.
- Object-Oriented Java: Learn Object-oriented programming concepts and Java syntax through interactive coding challenges.
- Access, Encapsulation, and Static Methods: Learn the basics of Java programming with the access, encapsulation, and static methods.
- Inheritance and Polymorphism: Study object-oriented programming and design patterns with inheritance and polymorphism to get a foundational understanding of Java.
- Debugging: This course will teach you how to solve coding problems efficiently by debugging your code.
The Java Certification at Codecademy is one way to learn Java, and it can be done at your own pace. The Codecademy platform offers a series of interactive lessons where you can practice coding in an online environment with feedback for each line of code written. There are also several certification programs where you can test your knowledge and skills before you get certified.
|Certification||Learn Java Certification|
|Skills Acquired||Java, Applied Projects, Object-oriented programming (OOP)|
4. Object Oriented Programming in Java Specialization (Duke University)
Duke University offers a specialization in object-oriented programming in Java, which focuses on beginner to intermediate topics. The Object-Oriented Programming in Java Specialization covers everything from data structures, problem-solving, and performance with Java. Graduates of this curriculum will have a sound understanding of the fundamentals of object-oriented programming and be prepared to continue their studies at higher levels or enter the workforce.
Receive a certificate to show your proficiency in Java programming from a well-established university.
Good for learning the foundational skills to become a Java developer.
Course material needs a bit of a facelift as some course content uses Applets which are a deprecated technology.
Not much in terms of support when it comes to finding work-arounds for issues and outdated libraries.
- Solving Problems with Software: Learn how to develop and debug programs in Java with an easy-to-follow and beginner-level course.
- Arrays, Lists, and Structured Data: The course provides a foundation in data structures, which are needed in many programming languages. The course helps you understand the basics of how to use Java’s object-oriented features.
- Object-Oriented Programming in Java: This intermediate course will prepare students with the necessary skills, knowledge, and expertise to write programs using the Java programming language including OOP, using libraries, and building graphical user interfaces.
- Data Structures and Performance: Learn how to use the most common data structures and understand the performance implications of the different techniques to build industry-standard applications.
Whether you want to build apps for mobile devices, develop enterprise solutions, or build a customized application, the Object-Oriented Programming in Java Specialization program can be a good starting point that will suit your needs. Through this specialization from Duke University, you will learn how to use Java as a software development tool at a beginner to intermediate level and see how computer science impacts everyday lives.
|Certification||Object Oriented Programming in Java Specialization|
|Skills Acquired||Java, Big-O Analysis, Object-oriented Programming, BlueJ and Eclipse|
5. Core Java Specialization (LearnQuest)
The Core Java Specialization is an intensive, hands-on course for intermediate programmers who want to learn about fundamental concepts in Java programming and how it can be used as a simple language. You will learn how to write simple programs, work with advanced topics, create graphical interfaces, and use Java to solve problems that you might encounter on the job.
Get the skills by practicing everything you’ve learned in a project that involves objects, methods, classes and interfaces.
Upon completion, you will earn a certificate that you can show to employers helping you on a viable career trajectory.
Contains videos, activities, reading, labs, and assessments to check understanding.
Not focused on specialization completion objectives without any CV/resume support or career services.
- Introduction to Java: With this Java course, you will be able to write your own programs in basic Java syntax and incorporate loops and branches. But it also requires some basics of OOP.
- Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming with Java: This course will teach the basics of Java programming and provide an introduction to object-oriented programming with Java including encapsulation and using various standard classes with the Java runtime environment.
- Object-Oriented Hierarchies in Java: You will learn the basics of Java programming and some very important basics of Object-Oriented Programming, such as inheritance, and polymorphism.
- Java Class Library: This course is designed to teach you how to use selected parts of the Java SE Class library. By the end of this course, you’ll be able to have a good understanding of Java’s I/O and Exception handling.
The Core Java Specialization (LearnQuest) teaches you the essentials of Java programming with a collection of courses to help you learn more about the Java language, including its principles and syntax, key features, and how to write code in different contexts. This course will explore everything from elementary programming concepts like variables and conditionals all the way up to advanced topics like recursion, data structure implementation, and object-oriented analysis and design.
|Certification||Core Java Specialization|
|Skills Acquired||Object Oriented Programming, Eclipse, Java Generics|
Java Certification: A Comprehensive Guide
For those who are unfamiliar with Java or want to brush up on their skills, these Java certification programs were designed to help you learn the basics and fundamentals of Java.
Java certification is a valuable credential for a software programmer that proves you have the right credentials at your job.
If you’ve ever wanted to pursue a career as a Java developer, we’ve provided several options to earn Java certification.
Regardless, if you’re looking to land a job or promotion in software development or programming, you’ll need to have a firm grasp of Java. Try it out today and get certified in Java.